Several of my Facebook friends have checked in or mentioned a gym in Clayton, MO called Sweat. It is a boxing gym that also offers personal training, corrective exercise, massage therapy, and nutrition counseling. When I saw the Groupon offering four weeks of unlimited boxing classes for $39 instead of the normal $80, I clicked "purchase" right away.
The next day I emailed Sweat to see how I could get started with the Groupon and they informed me that my first class was FREE and did not count against my Groupon. In fact, EVERYONE gets their first class free.
I decided that I wanted to go ahead and use my free class this past Saturday at 9 a.m. for the Punchers Class. I selected this class in particular because it is supposed to teach you:
I have taken boxing boot camps before but I still could not tell you the difference between a jab, cross, hook, etc. and I wanted to learn the difference so that I will eventually look like I know what I am doing during class. I showed up 15 minutes early as recommended, and the trainer told me that it would be a full class. Just before 9:00 a.m. we all walked into a rectangular-shaped classroom with punching bags hanging from the ceiling. When the trainer said that it would be a full class, I thought he meant that every bag in the room would be in use by one participant. What he actually meant was that we would have to double up, if not triple up per bag.
Once everyone found a spot, we started throwing punches. The trainer would tell us which punches to throw in the combinations, but I still felt like I was winging it. As I looked around the class, some people knew what they were doing and were very serious about it while others were in the same boat as me. Regardless of whether my "jab" was actually a jab instead of a hook, I burned over 700 calories during class and I was exhausted!
My Groupon expires at the end of December, so I am going to wait to activate my four weeks of unlimited classes until after my trip to DC. I will keep you posted on how that goes!
What is provided at Sweat:
- Showers are available but bring own towels
- Workout towels are available at the desk
- A few pairs of boxing gloves area available at the desk
What to bring to Sweat:
- Water, but you could purchase a bottle of water if you forget your own.
- Boxing gloves if you have your own (I personally do not like sharing those)
- A great attitude! You may have to share your bag with someone else and you will all be working out in a small room together. You will see all levels of boxing skills in class, so don't be intimidated.
- Be ready to WORK! Sweat's boxing classes = a high calorie burn.
- Plan meals for the week days - 50% Met - I am slowly getting better at this. When I don't have a plan or a quick/delicious option ready to go, I am easily persuaded to select a not-so-healthy option. This week was still around 50% successful.
- Practice Yoga at least once per week - 0% Met - I just didn't find the time this past week to fit it in. I really need to just download an app or have a dvd on stand-by so I don't have ANY excuses anymore!
- Run at least twice per week - GOAL MET - I took a treadmill boot camp class and ran a 5k this weekend.
- Foam roll at least once per week - GOAL MET - I foam rolled last night after a cycling class and this morning after a boot camp.
- Attend a boot camp at least once per week - GOAL MET - YES!!!! Last Friday I took a treadmill boot camp class, Saturday morning was my free class at Sweat, and this morning I attended another boot camp.
I feel like this past week has been very successful and I feel more motivated to work out because I love seeing how many calories I burned during class. Now I just need to keep the ball rolling and plan more of my meals and find a no-excuses way to fit yoga into my week.
Have a great week and weekend!!!!
Have a great week and weekend!!!!